2011/10/19

2011年10月19日 Therapeutic thoughts

I like Mr. Rogers' commentary on a lot of issues, especially when he sings things. I don't think his commentary is shallow, just so that only children can understand. But rather because the underlining meaning of what he's trying to teach children is equally important with adults.
So as I sit here wondering about these things, and I reflected on a title from an episode. Transformations. The title opened up in front of me and I read, 
"Transformations: No matter how we change on the outside, we're still ourselves inside" [Episode:] 1698"
Mr. Rogers continued expressing his character about who is he is and what it is to be himself. And I believed him to be correct. He smiled at the camera and sung [LINK, 2:48]:

I can put on a hat, or put on a coat,
Or wear a pair of glasses or sail in a boat.
I can change all my names
And find a place to hide.
I can do almost anything, but
I'm still myself inside.

I can go far away, or dream anything,
Or wear a scary costume or act like a king.
I can change all my names
And find a place to hide.
I can do almost anything, but
I'm still myself,
I'm still myself,
I'm still myself inside.

I thought about what that meant to me. About things I've experienced in life, while I've probably over used my character in X or Y situation, it's those things about me that make me valuable to some people. I am who I am because of those things in inside, whether I express them or not. And this correlates to another post, see Tearing away & full circles. What a wonderful episode with friends and teaching children what 143 means, and its value. Words came back to my brain, "You're always going to be tearing away at yourself until you come to terms with what you are. Until you come full circle." It's hard when we're not ready for these things. But as Mr Rogers sings, "It's such a good feeling, to know you're alive, it's such a happy feeling you're growing inside.

I sang along in my mind while smiling, only to look up at people who entered my department. The last I heard from Mr. Rogers was:

"And I'll be back
When the day is new
And I'll have more ideas for you
And you'll have things you'll want to talk about.
I will too."

When he stopped singing, stood briefly by the door and said,"You make each day a special day. You know how, by just your being you. There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are." He smiled and left. I was strangely comfortable he didn't say "all people" or "everyone".

No comments:

Post a Comment