2011/10/12

2011年10月12日 Meetings

Is-it-fiction?
"It's my birthday today."

I never actually knew Arturo Pennetta's birthday, or rather, out of respect I never used the force's database to find out that about him. Of course, now no longer being on the force I didn't need to address him as "sir" or "mister" as he often reminded me, but I still couldn't shake the old habit. To me he will always be Inspector Pennetta. I don't think our relationship even required our first names. I think he only used my first name twice in the 16 years I have known him. 

He was a short man, shorter than me at least, probably around 5'10" with a husky build, most of which came to him after his retirement. Always wore a tie with a sweater vest, when not in uniform. Once at his house, I think I saw a picture of him and his wife, Gladys, where he didn't have a tie or a sweater on, but that had to have been well before I knew him, since his hair had absolutely no grey whatsoever. All his black hair was now grey, a dark grey, with some small traces of white. He had typical features of someone of Italian descent, nose, face, eyes, and so forth. His character was calculating, but he never disregarded use of empathetic gestures, and at times I assumed this to be part of his seemingly humorous commentary. Regardless of who he was talking with he still commanded respect for both sides, even if the other side at least in my opinion, didn't deserve such.

We'd meet whenever it was convenient for him or if I wanted to check up on him, and mainly this was up to his wife. If she wasn't doing some kind of errand or gardening, he was at home reading or leisurely spending time with her. What does a couple do during retirement? Since they had no children I couldn't imagine that they were always busy. However, I have speculated that Gladys wanted children, but Arturo never talked about it and I wasn't ever going to ask.

We were seated away from a small dispersed groups of people in the movie theater, which was one of the few theaters in town we could "watch" a movie without interruption. Actually we never really watched the movie, or rather I didn't, and I had no idea how Inspector Pennetta could converse with me and still, or appear to, remember most of the film. Former inspector, I reminded myself. Most of our conversations were in the movie theater. It was a good place for us to chat without having to worry about other people. I think it was a cover for him so that he didn't have to explain to his wife that he was meeting me to talk about my work. Personally I was happy when the drive-in theaters were still in town, but those places haven't been around for at least 5 years. Arturo also didn't seem to be happy about changing locations from the drive-in to the present theater we've been using, but it was better than nothing.

His insight often was quite useful, but I found it discouraging that while he often was right on issues, he failed to provide evidence. This wasn't the case before he retired. Of course a lot of things changed when he retired. For one he stopped carrying a pistol, although I'm sure he had one at home, maybe more? His reasoning was that, "I'm no longer a cop, and it's better to keep my reminders of it to a minimum." I assume that's Gladys talking through him, but I'm sure he believed it too. I wasn't so sure I could subscribe to that kind of mentality, especially after all that I've seen. Hell, what about what HE has seen? He did however always carry a small comb and he did walk a little slower than when I first met him. Scratch three for retirement.

"I'm sorry Mister Pennetta, but I didn't buy you a pres-"
"Forget about it, I have enough stuff in the house, and whatever I can get into the house Gladys soon banishes it to the garage!" He feigned a frown, gesturing with his arms towards ceiling.
"Tell me about work, is it going alright with you?"
"I'm having problems with some consultation issues."
"Are they still giving you hell at the station?"
"Not totally, I mean, as I'm an 'outside' consultant."
He grunted at me and continued, "Do you remember Bill Cosgrave? The brown headed mick? I think he's in charge of narc ops now, or some new division working from north-ward. You talk to him if you have any problems."

I knew Cosgrave, but I didn't want to work with him. Cosgrave remembered hard when people owed him, and I didn't want to owe him anything. Before I was asked if I wanted to retire a little earlier than desired, he and I were competing for captain. Apparently he got it. I didn't bother keeping tack of his career after that point.

"Yeah I know him. I'll look into it." Somewhere in the back of my mind, a neon light flashed, "Fuck." But sir, I'd rather not work with him if I can help it. Obviously it was unavoidable. 

Inspector Pennetta made a finger and pointed across to my right. Down below us several aisles, there was a young couple, who were also obviously uninterested in the film.  And although they seemed to be talking with their mouths, I don't think any words were coming out.

"Watch my coat, I'm going to get some popcorn. I hope they're still at it when I get back, this is worth paying for!" I smiled and watched the inspector get up to leave. When I looked back at the couple, the girl's head was resting on her boyfriend's shoulder. Jesus Christ I sure do miss the privacy of drive-ins...

No comments:

Post a Comment