2011/10/09

2011年10月9日 Yom Kippur

Yesterday was the conclusion of the highest Jew holidays.

Entitlement
I spent most of that day sleeping in and reflecting on whether or not one ought to have a relationship with G-d. Whether or not it is necessary to forgive or not. To be forgiven or not.
At some point during the morning I was told my sister's son was having some health issues, in fact she even dialed 911, so I viewed this as a life and death issue. I drove my mom to my sister's house, more or less violating my shabbat, so that she could watch the youngest kid while my sister went to the hospital. After which I didn't go home. I drove around and took my time in the car thinking more and more about G-d, friends, family, bad guys, and good guys. It didn't bother me if G-d was watching or not. If watchers were watching or not. I didn't watch my thoughts, and I was happy let them out, so that they would be subject to examination.

At the end of the day I don't know if I was written in the book of life or not. And I don't want to assume I am entitled to anything, especially life or death. Or a car accident.

What did I learn about Yom Kippur?

I won't really say, since really only applies to me.
Ask yourself in 3 months or so what January 1st means to you, and maybe you'll find out. 
Maybe...?

No comments:

Post a Comment