2011/10/20

2011年10月20日 Co-operation

"Mr. Ingram, you can go back to his office now."
"Thanks." I couldn't believe I had to wait like this. I'm sure he did it intentionally.

Cosgrave stood up from behind his desk smiling, "Insipientia corde suo, non es deus. Non est vita qui adorem, non es usque ad unum. Es excommunicatus, ex unione fidelium." He continued in English with an even bigger grin on his face, "'Foolish of heart, thou art not a god. There is no life for those who do not adore, and to a man thou hast not. Thou art excommunicated from the union of the faithful.'" He paused briefly to take a quick breath and slightly changed his tone, "You're no longer a cop you know, so don't bother the real ones." He must have loved every single day since my early retirement from the force.

"You know, if I wanted a ham, I'd go buy one at the market."

"Is it for that Christ Killer you got workin' for ya?" His teeth rested on his bottom lip as he waited for me to reply. I gave him nothing, and he motioned me to sit down.

"The Hirsch-Landers case. I'm going to need to see whatever you have."
"I can't do it. Police only." He smiled at me again.
"I have waivers from both parties." I pulled out an enveloped from my inside jacket pocket, and I could already see his slime eating grin wipe clean off his face as he scanned my paperwork for any flaws. There were none. Every detail was perfect. Or as perfect as money or extortion could afford. I thought whimsically.

"Why don't you let the police handle this? I mean, that's why this place exists." He said, stretching his arms out like a hawk. "And frankly, I don't think we really need to co-operate. Not with you, anyhow."
"For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."
"Your Latin is pretty off." His grin came back.
"I didn't know that the Lord mattered to you."
"Around here, I am the lord." His cheeks puffed up under his eyes.

I stood up. 
"Thanks for the lesson. I'm taking this paperwork to records. So it doesn't get lost."
"We have things under control here, unlike your drinking." He hid his smile as he crossed his fingers together, resting his elbows on the desk.

Was he keeping tabs on me? I raised my eyebrows, and smirked at him. That'll catch you off guard, you piece of.... Cosgrave's phone rang and he waved me off. And I was happy to leave his office.

Records was probably the best part about being back in the department, outside harassing those in I.A. Quick, clean, and helpful, records was there for us, more or less. Sometimes a little too helpful, if not  robotic. I wondered if it was because whatever was left in terms of humanity was shed as soon as they entered that section of the department. I didn't really want to know.

I scanned a few documents. Little of what I looked at was promising, outside of a few names. I'll have Mose run some names later. I thought stepping out into the rain as I left Cosgrave's reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment