2011/09/19

2011年9月19日 Un-welcomed visitors at the door?

Some people have often said my behavior when answering doors or dealing with awkward situations at home is excessive. Once when Wainwright and I still lived with each other, sometime around 11:50pm I heard a loud knocking on the apartment door. I was extremely bothered by this, since my friends know to call in advance. I had no idea who would be and since my apartment did not have a peephole I grabbed a gun. I answered the door, and low and behold my (usually)-drunk-and-potato-loving friend was at the door. I told him I was extremely bothered by him not calling, to which Dapl (Drunk-And-Potato-Loving) didn't see a problem, until I said, "Well, at least let me put this away." We chatted briefly and then he went home.
At a later date Dapl reminded me of that situation saying I was "waving a gun around." when he came to visit. To which I replied, "You didn't call. It's my home, and at no point was I 'waving a gun around.'" He could not come up with a good argument, other than he thought my reaction was extreme. Only Wainwright and I knew much about our place. At no point do strangers belong near or in front of our apartment due to its rigid design. Had wainwright continued to stay in the USA and we continued to live there, I would have bought him his own piece, and he knows it.

Another instance happened when I was still in high-school. My mom and I lived in an apartment complex. I was sleeping on the couch and I think it was around 11pm or later, when a low and continuous knocking woke up me. I went into the kitchen and grabbed a knife, hiding it behind my thigh pointing the blade towards the ground. The knocking must have continued for at least a solid minute, without end, even until I approach the door. When I answered to the door, a cop standing with sub-machine gun in low-ready position, although not pointed at me, was only two and a half feet away.
I was so dumbfounded, especially from just waking up, I had no idea what to do. He began to inform me that the police were in the area looking for three suspects and if I knew anything. 
"Uh, hold on just a moment, I need to set this down first." I took a step back, leaving the door wide open for him, and in the most non-threatening manner I could provide I sat the knife down on a table near the door. When that cop saw the knife his eyes literally exploded from his skull. He took one careful step back, but still kept his weapon in the low-ready position with the barrel away of my general direction. 
Outside of his head actually exploding, I think that's the furthest anyone could bug their eyes out. I began to speak telling him I didn't notice anything until he knocked on the door. "Well, thanks sir, goodnight." And it was over as soon as it started.

Watching E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial with my mom and nephew this weekend reminded me of what people think of questionable behavior in general and it's the reason I brought up those two separate stories. There was a specific scene in the film where Elliot (the main character) rushes into his house to tell his mom, brother and his brother's friends that there is a "goblin outside!" His brother and friends laugh, until they realize Elliot is serious, at which point they immediately proceed to the kitchen to grab knives
The first thought in my mind was teamwork! Unfortunately, the rest of my family nor society subscribes to my feelings on this issue. You can see the full scene here, albeit in German.

All of my friends are always welcomed, most of them know me well enough not to surprise me. Thankfully, most of my friends agree with my pro-life stance on un-welcomed visitors. For those who don't, take a good look at what could happen. I'm not saying live in fear, because I wasn't afraid to answer the door, as I did answer the door. Yet, I am not going to answer the door without actually being prepared. 

How many people actually go out of their way to buy cars without air-bags? It's the same thing, tools are there for your safety, and ideally it's best if we die without ever having to use them (even once).

Most people forget that thieves, killers and rapists subscribe to the following mentality.
Today we were unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always. - A statement released by the IRA (1984)
Staying safe has never felt so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment