2011/09/18

2011年9月17日 Invitations

Today at shul, - Jew stuff - I was invited for high holiday stuff within the next few weeks.
I was pretty happy to be invited. Wear a yarmulke and people think you're a Jew. Well, I'm not a Jew, but to express reverence towards The high holy one, yes I'll put a little skull cap on my head.

Anyhow, things were pretty nice and welcoming. I have never felt invited for anything like this before, I have never been invited to someone's house in regards to a high holiday, well I was invited to purim once, but that was with secular Jewish people.

After a group of people got up to sing and dance during Keva, during some point in the middle of the service I was asked, "You must think this is primitive?" I was confused I was asked that. 

Primitive? I'm used to just standing up with a stiff back, staring at other church goers wondering who is more of a sinner. Cringing at the women with dresses that ride higher than the knee. Wondering why no one wants to actually get to know their neighbor. Do I know about primitive? Yes, I know about it and it wasn't at shul. - For some reason I keep thinking of Swamp People when I think of primitive. Damn that's a good program. - I remember replying with, "Does not the lord want us to express our own sincerity in our own way?" No chick is going to be impressed with love letters written by a hired hand. At least no one who actually knows the truth should be impressed, outside of cleverness that is to say.

At shul, or at least the one I was at, people had no problem coming in hugging and greeting their friends during the middle of a reading and whatnot, except when a Sefer Torah was making the rounds. This is a lot different than churches in Christianity where coming in late is the equivalent to being a horrible person. For those who don't know, when the Sefer Torah moves around the congregation, they (the congregation) often use their fringes, wrapped around their fingers, to which they touch the Sefer Torah and then immediately after kiss their cloth fringes. Some people use a book's spine to touch the Torah, after which they kiss the spine (of the book, not the Torah). How these people don't get mono, I have no idea. In retrospect, I almost think that the people feel too good to even consider the health concerns. 

While I highly doubt most members don't think of the Meter's I just kissed by baby I would not be surprised if they did:
I feel like a king, yeah, 
Cause I just kissed my baby, 
And money don't mean a thing to me, 
Cause I just kissed my baby, yeah, 
Feels so good, ha, 
That I just kissed my baby, 
Well, well I'm no, 
Cause I just kissed by baby, yeah
I'm sure I'm the ONLY person who has thought about this, outside of Chuck Norris.

Above all I'm happy to be included. A synagogue is kind of interesting, it is a social place, a place of belonging, and a place of education. So being invited is promising. I'm quite happy about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment