2011/09/15

2011年9月15日 Face-book?

Yesterday at work I was thinking about Face-Book, and a reoccurring theme came back into my mind in regards to it:
  • I am not happy when I log into FB. 
  • I am disappointed with the vapid and facile commentary which not only disappoints me, but is also discouraging when I want to get to know that person. I don't mean commentary as a whole, but generally what is posted on FB as a whole. Of course, yes, I do like videos and what not, but most dialog is no different or about as intelligible as HS bullshit banter. 
  • I am not happy with how I feel when using FB. 
  • Using FB is a chore that only exploits my carefully organized and filed-away despondency.
I knew this was an eventuality for me, but frankly, I almost look at it as a blessing in disguise. I don't need to worry about things like this anymore and I don't feel like I'm disappearing by choosing not to worry or by allowing it to bother me so much. 

If anything, most people have my email or can get it through someone they know who knows me. I feel  that FB helps me acknowledge that there is growing distance between myself and some people. In most cases it's uncontrollable, because people at some point make a decision and take a path. Right or wrong. Good or bad. There is no grey area, and if there is, well there is a proverb for that one: Half a truth is the worst kind of lie.

Sure seeing pictures of this or that interesting, if not promising, yet to me it kind of negates the enjoyment of actually showing someone a photo album or emailing them to a friend. I suppose to me FB takes away the depth of friendship or otherwise that I would normally want.
On a side note, I notice that FB tends to push me towards tolerating other people's bullshit, until I am fed up and then I permanently hide their wall posts. I have done this with at least a 100 people out of a hundred and 150, maybe even higher than that. I am generally fed up with a person when they spam FB, complain, and yet do not want solutions presented to them. I believe the prior to be true, since after offering resolution, not in jest, several times towards people on their wall, I was blocked. No surprise there.

No doubts here about what I'm talking about. Yes, I'm complaining about FB, and so my solution is to remove it from my life. Let it be so. Does it matter? Yes and no. I suppose it depends on how one executes the ritual of removing it from one's life. Do you feel better using FB? Does it help with maintaining a degree of quality for your life? Or is it an escape? Do you substitute lurking as a medium to avoid people? If so, who are you alienating really? I think we're alienating ourselves, it's no wonder we're slowly becoming judgmental without confrontation, without responsibility. Maybe I'm wrong, but FB to me is like looking at the shadow of a shadow, of a shadow, and then saying, "Hey, this is my friend." Really?

With the same speed as someone who blocks another person on FB, I deleted my own account, without reservations other than those intended to spare pictures taken of me which I had no other way to access. At some point I will look back on my decision, and scoff that I actually needed a reason or rather, that I took the time to explain my reasoning. Maybe I won't.

There is so much work to do beyond this and it almost seems never ending.
More and more rituals. 
More and more tasks.

1 comment:

SYNTER said...

Truth dawg.

Wanna play farmville, I'll play as the sheep and you can baaaaahhhram me

Post a Comment