2011/07/05

2011年7月5日 Happy 5th of July, a.k.a "Welcome back to reality."

I had a quaint girl come to me to work today, and she asked for my address after I described how I'm going to have surgery. Apparently she wants to write me. I gave her my address without thinking anything about it, since she did not appear to be a major threat to me physically or emotionally. Surprisingly she volunteered her own to me, which I put on a sticky note, then covered with some papers.

She comes into my lab to chat briefly with me sometimes, and usually it is very very brief (3-7 minutes). She doesn't wear any make-up that I can notice, and she seems quiet for the most part.

This day however she asked me about my age, and what not. She doesn't even look like it, but she's 31. Yikes, for both the good and bad way. I thought she was around 22. She said I did not look or really act my age, the latter being a good thing. I dress and talk relatively maturely, but obviously she hasn't read this blog.


So, she comes back into the lab later (maybe an hour, I don't know), and says,

 "Can I ask you a quick question?"
"Sure"
"Do you drink?"
"Yes I do."

"Then can I have my address back? And... I'll erase yours."

Then she walked off to use a computer.

At first I was kind of shocked, for about .0009 seconds, then I realized what kind of person I'm dealing with. In all sincerity I'm happy it turned out that way. I'm not glad because I don't have to deal with it, rather I'm glad because someone actually has the discipline to address these issues as such. Instead of wasting my time, she was to the point; and moreover, there is a degree of discipline maintaining one's own values without disrespecting another person. 

She didn't seem like a dick about it at all, and I wasn't offended.
Of course there wasn't anything for me to be offended about, outside of the wonderful reminder of being welcomed back to reality after a 3 day weekend of listlessness and a barbecue.

No comments:

Post a Comment