2011/11/04

2011年11月4日 A braver newer world?

I was sitting down with a co-worker, who is an atheist and anti-religious. And doesn't believe in anything such as a spirit. It's to the point were he passively looks down on those who participate in such. Anyway, we were talking about shul and Jew-stuff briefly. At some point I finally asked him, "What the purpose of life? In your life, does it have a purpose?" Of course he said yes for himself, but he could not provide an answer for anyone else. At that point I told him that if he could not provide THE answer, either the question itself is flawed or there is no meaning in life for humans. I'm sure I'm wrong.

But in which way am I wrong? I believe I'm wrong, but not far off from the truth. Because even if I'm on the wrong end of the stick of truth, I don't need to travel down the spine of the stick to the correct end. All I have to do is figure out how to bend the sticks and allow the ends to touch.

Last night's dense fog on the highway reminded me of this. 
I couldn't see a damn thing, but only the road in front and behind me. Nothing to the left or right, unless it was the near a street light. No silhouettes, no trees. Few cars. Nothing else. Just fog and 200 yards of visibility. Floating flights in the distant, until I approached close enough to where I could see the poles. Without the poles visible they looked like giant frozen fireflies. I was on that orange foggy road, which strangely resembled the same color of the sodium vapor lamps along side of it. I wish I could have driven forever through that. It wasn't like life was really showing me what was ahead anyhow. Somehow, something was there in that fog. It wasn't me, but rather something I was trying to look at and understand.
Turning off my brain, I understood.
Turning it back on, I understood less, if not at all.
I smiled and put on a cap, stepping out of the car wondering about life and this morning's conversation, which  provided no answer. Yet it did provide the idea that there is a road and there is a wandering. 
Sometimes we approach the promise without being able to participate in such. We go so far, only to end up with the road, and not the destination. Yet we are told the destination is important, but if that's true why bother talking about the road? Why bother bringing it up? Why not just focus on the destination? And if we can't get to the destination after the road ends maybe God will come down and bury us? 
Deuteronomy 34:5-6 suggests it's possible.
If we're angry, patient, forgiving, lucky and loving enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment