2012/05/12

2012年5月12日 "To the pure, all things are pure"

University life, or life in general, can be a tedious but rewarding experience. What does it mean to learn? Is it possible to really learn something, yet ignore it completely as if we had never really learned at all? Yes, it is. Sometimes we say one thing, do one thing, hear one thing, have one thing happen to us, then we claim to have learned, but in reality nothing changed. Because if we really learned anything would we not mature from the pain? 

Should we gauge our happiness and success by comparing it with the past? I think we should constantly re-gauge ourselves, checking whether or not our intellectual, emotional, and spiritual instruments are working.
 
No one really knows for sure without overcoming a challenge. Sometimes there are two, three, even four or more challenges simultaneously. We have to decide which challenges are important to us and then go from there. Other times we can only pick one or none. Better pick the right challenge, or if one picks the wrong challenge, then one better not wait to correct it. The truth hates delays.

We can't totally live for tomorrow, yesterday, or today, since the days are interconnected. Ideally, we need to remember that as ourselves we should pick ourselves, then as ourselves we can go to God and God's teachings or commercialized holidays, greed, and self-idolatry. One can't learn without teaching. Can't teach without learning.

Teaching and learning in my case? In my case I have no choices on some issues, other than to find a way to advance or make one. Unfortunately and fortunately for me, my path doesn't go backwards only onward. A bridge breaking behind as I advance. Yes, there are stops along the way, but it only ends when I die or give up. What was that which Horace was claimed to have said? Something like, 
"Aut insanit homo, aut versus facit "
(The Fellow is either mad or he is composing verses.)
I suppose that applies to me.
I remember once when I was somewhat pure, thinking that most things could be good and pure too. Now that I'm older, stupider, with fervor towards patient structures while expressing the same towards chaos, I find that nothing is at it seems. We sometimes wake up as sane people in an insane world. Somehow while things could be reversed, I believe not much would changed, except for the titles of things and tax-codes.

But it only matters if it matters. No matter, nor madder or matter in my bladder. The line between boring and pure excitement is whether or not there is a rail for your safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment